Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Los Amigos Invisibles Documentary - You Can Help Make it Happen!


As some of you may know, Venezuelan-born, Latin Grammy-winning, Los Amigos Invisibles, is my all-time favorite band.

I am ashamed to say that due to my decrepit brain's inability to remember dates, unless I'm lucky, I can't remember exactly the first time I went to a Los Amigos Invisibles show. However, I do know for certain that it was a little more than a decade ago, and I will never forget how my heart felt all-encompassing excitement and elation at first sight/sound. There I was, right there in the front (the same spot I would claim for the next 10 years), and as soon as they played their first song, I was hooked. Rather, I was in love. Little did I know, that forevermore, my knees would get weak, my heart would palpitate rapidly, and I would feel electricity all over my body for every show I would see thereafter. I never would have thought it possible, unless I experienced it.

Los Amigos Invisibles means "The Invisible Friends" in Spanish. Ironically, some of my closest friends today are other fans, who I never would have met otherwise, if it weren't for this band. I would bump into the same people repeatedly at LAI concerts. Their music is literally like an invisible web of euphoria that envelopes any listener, and at every concert, the band always succeeds in making you feel welcome to their private house party. Every time I have brought an LAI virgin to a show, they can't help but become a converted fan. As predictable as a potent magic spell, I witness the look of amazement on those who have never heard them, or experienced them live before. It brings me back to my first experience. But the greatest phenomena is, that feeling of awe never leaves. After all, what other band can play year after year with the same tenacity and vigor as the first day, and what other band can mix sounds of rock, salsa, funk, cumbia, so seamlessly?

Without a doubt, there will always be an unexpected surprise at the end of a concert - maybe a little Sting or Guns 'n Roses slipped into the mix - almost seeming like an accident, but it ends up being a harmonious present with a big red ribbon on it, leaving you with a big smile on your face and a satisfied soul.

It is obvious after so many years of watching them perform, that to LAI, their fans come first.

Today, I take the time to tell you why I love this band, because I have been inspired by the humble and sincere efforts of another unconditional lover of LAI. Juan Miguel Marin, a 31-year-old Ecuadorian-born and NY-based, graphic artist and musician, is on a mission to commemorate this band's 20-year music making history through a feature-length documentary called La Casa del Ritmo.

Marin feels a special bond to LAI, because in the early-2000's, his band La Rua, had the fortune of touring with them.

Through this intimate time together, Marin says that "[LAI] showed a lot of discipline and responsibility to me and the members of my band."

He reminisces about how surprised he was when after a Saturday night show in Atlanta, the next morning, LAI left earlier than them to get to the next stop which was seven hours away driving, and they weren't even the opening band.

Also, he admires that till this day, they still handwrite their set list on a sheet of paper for each member to have during the show.

"Each sheet had some good luck type of message from whomever wrote the set list. That sort of simple stuff I think can make a big difference in band dynamics," says Marin.

As a gift back to the band who has given us so much melodic pleasure, Marin is trying to make $30,000 in less than a month on Kickstarter, in order to be able to document their 20-year anniversary together.

"This is about them and a way to recognize and thank them for their amazing music and fun times," says Marin. "To me, it goes beyond that, because they had a huge impact on me and my still alive dream of making music for a living. The whole idea about Kickstarter is that all the fans and people that care about them can make this film possible."

So, please, if you have ever seen LAI play, and have had your heart-strings tingle, or felt the involuntary need to dance, consider donating today.

Check out the teaser here. Doesn't it leave you wanting more?

3 comments:

  1. Kristina, thank you so much for such a heartfelt and sincere post about LAI and our documentary, La Casa del Ritmo.

    We reposted your article via twitter, facebook and our kickstarter page - be sure to check them out.

    La Casa del Ritmo is @casadelritmo on twitter

    Thank you for helping us spread the word - we can't do this alone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, I known LAI since I was a kid I believe my first concert was in 1998. ^_^ I already donate, and sincerely hope to reach the goal in time. Good luck, pals and keep us dancing. xoxoxo YIYI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jihan! We did it!!! The documentary will be happening, and we can keep dancing! See all you NY fans at the concert on March 11th!

    ReplyDelete